Wednesday, July 9, 2008

IT'S FINISHED!!! :)

I can finally say that I'm done my degree at York University! it took me a while longer than I had hoped, but that's okay :) During my last year at York, I completed my Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics, with a TESOL certificate (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), which will now enable me to be able to teach pretty much anywhere in the world. However, I am yet unqualified to teach children, or to teach in the public school system in Canada. It's somewhat ironic: I'm not qualified to teach ESL to children, but I am qualified to teach adults (immigrant adults, that is). I've been considering a few options, one of which could possibly mean going overseas to teach English... otherwise I could stick around in Toronto and teach here.... we'll see where the Lord leads.

This final year at York was the best year I had there - we had the best teacher EVER (the first picture that you'll see in the slideshow), who really has a gift for teaching and for bringing the class together as a unit. Thanks Joanne! and thank you, all my classmates! I hope to be as good a teacher as her one day :)

At our final class we had a class party for which I put together the following slideshow. But be warned - it's 15 minutes long!!! :)



York University TESOL Class 2008!

I wish you all the best!!!

4 comments:

Louise said...

where's the music? does anyone know how to upload a video with the music?

Sharon said...

No, I have no idea! Hey, congratulations, dear sister! :) Thanks be to God! May He continue to lead you in the days ahead. We hope you stick around, of course... :)

Jeremy said...

Congrats on the degree Louise! Here's a website that you may find to be of interest... www.esljobsworld.com. Teaching English over the internet is a booming business these days, and has much to offer. I have recently become lined up with one, quite possibly two positions with internet-based ESL firms in part through this website. It's especially nice for me as it is supplemental income that the U.S. government can't regulate through visa and immigration laws, etc., since it is international by nature. Let me know if you would like referrals to the two firms that I am with.
Congrats again!

Louise said...

thank you Sharon and Jeremy! it feels great to know I'm finished :)

and thanks also for the website! it's an interesting idea to teach ESL online - I hadn't considered that option. There's quite a few job postings in Europe as well, I noticed!! :) that looks pretty enticing! :)