Saturday, March 8, 2008

Dad


Beechwood
(the name of the cemetery)

My sad heart was burdened,
that oft is so light;
tears sprung to my eyelids -
I wiped them away.
.
this world brings such sorrow,
heartache and trouble;
I've come to find comfort
and rest for my soul.
.
my steps have slowed down now,
thoughtfully, slowly
this path knows my footstep -
it beckoned me on;
.
snow glistened and sparkled,
all heaven shone down
it lit up the cold stone
that marked where he lay.
.
my father still lies here,
six years have since passed;
but upward his soul is
at peace with our Lord.
.
and now I'm bound homeward
to peace, joy and love;
I know I'm bound heav'nward
one day Christ to see!
.
oh joy at His coming!
my heart skips a beat
to think of that bright day
when Jesus I meet!


This week I thought I'd take the opportunity to visit Dad's grave, since it was such a beautiful day, and for once I had some time to spare... For a few short moments, the sun sent its rays in a heavenly sort of way... the snow sparkled like ten million jewels... the silence rested my soul... I slowly meandered my way out of the cemetery, pausing to look at some other stones which marked other loved ones' lives...

Upon coming home my dear mother greeted me with a delightful dinner, with candlelight and roses and all! a wonderful way to celebrate my first evening at home in 2 1/2 weeks!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful, lou. thanks for posting :) i love you! love carole

Sharon said...

Thanks for posting that, Louise -- we should visit the cemetery sometime to show the kids their Opa's grave again. And I like your poem! Keep looking unto Jesus -- this life is only a mist, and eternity with Christ is just around the corner!
Love you too!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful...

Michele said...

Louise,
That is very special. Thank you for sharing, and pointing us toward heaven.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for the memory of our faithful father.

How fitting that your post should end with our dear mother and the continuing blessing she is, a great reminder of the love of God.